This is a call to all young people interested in taking a leadership role in tackling climate change issues with Zero Carbon Africa (ZCA) by applying to be a ZCA Country Focal Point.
Zero Carbon Africa – ZCA, is an alliance of youth focused non-governmental organizations and individuals in Africa working with young people to champion climate change and sustainable development solutions at all levels, with special focus on providing adaptation and mitigation strategies for grassroots people and initiatives. A major aspect of our work is focused on developing and improving platforms for the emergence of young climate change leaders who will create a sustainable world for the future generations. Africa is one of the continents that are most vulnerable to the impacts of climate change, and the present generation of youths will be responsible for creating a sustainable future.
Therefore we believe it is of utmost importance that the African youths be prepared to carry out their responsibilities to the earth and its future. Continuing with our vision, this year, ZCA is announcing this call for Country Focal Points (CFP) for a two-year term from June 2013 to June 2015. Application for this term is open to ALL countries in Africa. This is a call to all young people interested in taking a leadership role in tackling climate change issues with ZCA by applying to be a ZCA CFP. Please read the information and criteria listed below and fill out the application if you are interested, committed, and eligible.
- Candidate is a youth aged 18 – 35;
- Is an African and resides in his/her country of origin
- Has a genuine will to volunteer and participate in the work of Zero Carbon Africa;
- Has regular internet access
- Can understand and communicate effectively in English
- Is willing to work on a voluntary basis for an average of 4 – 5 hours per week;
- Is able to commit for the duration of the term (2 years)
- Can work independently with minimal supervision;
- Has a very good understanding of climate change issues
- Works with youth people; can coordinate activities effectively to achieve a set goal
- Agrees to consult with Zero Carbon Africa staff before using our logo and materials regarding sensitive communication
THE FOCAL POINT
The focal point is an integral piece of the Zero Carbon Africa framework for sustainable change, who effectively coordinates climate change related activities and initiatives by young people at grassroots, local, state and national level. The focal point is dedicated to working with the Zero Carbon Africa team to ensure that climate change adaptation and mitigation activities are carried out using best practices in Africa through capacity building and advocacy.
- Represent Zero Carbon Africa in your country as a focal point.
- Conduct research on organizations working in your country on climate change, environmental protection and/or sustainable development and make contact with such organizations.
- Coordinate the National Day of Action on Climate Change, and other Zero Carbon Africa activities in your country.
- Build relationship and engage loose collections of individuals, activists and organizations to increase grassroots climate change awareness in your country
- Collate monthly report on activities on climate change by local organizers, groups, advocates, individuals for Zero Carbon Africa in your country
- Submit a brief report and pictures of conferences/important meetings attended.
- Contribute timely feedback upon request on important issues, documents and/or proposals.
- Contribute climate change-related news and relevant resources for the Zero Carbon Africa website and blog.
- Represent Zero Carbon Africa and its objectives of empowering the youth working on climate change at any relevant national conferences and events.
- Undertake outreach and communication with Zero Carbon Africa in your country, to ensure equal focus and representation related to national needs, challenges and activities.
- Organize local gatherings (networking meetings, capacity building) at least once every six months with young change makers in resource-constrained areas.
The deadline is Sunday 5th May 2013, 2300Hrs GMT. Forms submitted after this date will not be considered. Females are especially encouraged to apply. It is advised that applicants are located in a major city in the country for ease of access of communication and coordination.
Due to the high volume of applications, only short listed applicants will be contacted. We cannot respond to inquiries regarding your application. If you have any questions concerning the application process, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you! We look forward to receiving your applications!
Click here to APPLY Now!